Bacon, Apple and Cheddar Melt
A seasonal take on the grilled cheese sandwich, this healthy recipe uses turkey bacon, whole-grain bread and low-fat cheese.
- 8 slices whole-grain bread toasted
- 4 slices turkey bacon halved crosswise
- 5 oz cheddar cheese shredded
- 8 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 red and green apples halved and thinly sliced
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- Preheat broiler. Cook turkey bacon in medium nonstick skillet until crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Brush all 8 slices of toast with 1 tsp of mustard each. Place 4 slices of toast, mustard-side up, on broiler pan. Top toast with apple slices and onion slices.
- Sprinkle cheddar over onion and broil 4 inches (10 cm) from heat until cheese has melted, about 2 minutes.
- Top each sandwich with two pieces of bacon and remaining toast. Cut in half.