Easy Coconut Shrimp
“Guests are always impressed when I serve these restaurant-quality shrimp. A selection of sauces served alongside adds the perfect touch.” —Tacy Holliday, Germantown, Maryland
Photo: Taste of Home
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp seafood seasoning
- 1 large egg beaten
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 package sweetened shredded coconut 14 ounces
- 1 pound large shrimp peeled and deveined
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- apricot preserves Optional
- Sweet-and-sour sauce Optional
- Plum sauce Optional
- dijon mustard Optional
- In a bowl, combine the flour, seasoning, egg and pineapple juice until smooth. Place coconut in a shallow bowl. Dip shrimp into batter, then coat with coconut.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry shrimp, a few at a time, until golden brown, about 1-1/2 minutes, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels. Serve with dipping sauce or mustard if desired.
1 shrimp: 171 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 76mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fibre), 5g protein.