Number of servings : 72 (2 tbsp or 25 mL each)
Prep time: 2 hrs (plus set time)
Type of meal : | Condiments | Condiments
Special diet :
3 lb (1.5 kg) blackberries (about 10 cups/2.5 L)
1 1/4 cups (300 mL) water
2 1/2 lbs (1.25 kg) apples (about 8 medium)
1/4 cup (50 mL) lemon juice
8 cups (2 L) granulated sugar
2 pouches (85 mL each) liquid fruit pectin
Pure apple juice (as required)
1. In a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, bring blackberries and water to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Line a strainer with two layers of cheesecloth; place over a bowl (or use a jelly bag and strainer). Place berry mixture in strainer; let stand for 30 minutes or until strained, reserving juice and discarding pulp.
2. Remove and discard stems from apples (do not pare or core); dice. Place in large heavy saucepan or 2. Dutch oven, along with 2 cups (500 mL) water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until apples are tender. Line a strainer with two layers of cheesecloth; place over a bowl (or use a jelly bag and strainer). Place apple mixture in strainer; let stand for 30 minutes or until strained, reserving juice and discarding pulp.
3. Measure 2 cups (500 mL) each of blackberry juice and apple juice. Reserve any extra juice for another use, or if not enough juice to make 4 cups (1 L), top up with pure apple juice.
4. Pour juices into a clean pan. Stir in lemon juice, then sugar. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring often. Stir in pectin; return to a full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
5. Remove from heat; skim off foam. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot, sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) headspace. Wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
Photo: My Yen Trung, www.myyentrung.com; Styling: Signe Langford