Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Condiments | Condiments
Special diet :
2 kilograms meaty beef bones, including marrow and shinbones, or knucklebones
2 yellow onions, thickly sliced
2 carrots, thickly sliced
2 stalks celery with leaves, sliced
6 sprigs fresh parsley
2 small bay leaves
1 sprig fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
10 black peppercorns
1 tablespoons salt
- Preheat the oven to 205°C (400°F). Place the beef bones, onions, and carrots in a roasting pan and roast until the bones turn a rich brown, for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a large stockpot or Dutch oven. Add the celery, parsley, bay leaves, thyme, peppercorns, and salt. Add enough water to cover the bone mixture.
- Add a little water to the roasting pan and stir to scrape up the browned bits. Pour the liquid and bits into the stockpot.
- Place the stockpot over moderately high heat, and slowly bring the mixture to a boil, using a slotted spoon to skim off and discard any fat or scum that rises to the surface. Reduce the heat, partly cover the stockpot, and simmer gently for 3 to 4 hours.
- Line a fine sieve with cheesecloth and set it over a large bowl. Slowly pour the stock through the sieve; discard the solids. Let the stock cool to room temperature. Pour the stock into serving-size, airtight containers; cover, label, and date.
- Store the stock in the refrigerator for a week or the freeze for up to 6 months. If fat congeals on top of the stock while refrigerated or frozen, remove and discard before using the stock.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:1203