Strawberry Bran Waffles
Start the day off on a sweet note with this recipe for a healthy and hearty breakfast that’s surprisingly low in calories.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup bran flakes
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk 2%
- 1/2 cup sour cream low fat
- 1 tsp honey plus more to serve
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups strawberries sliced
- Heat your waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s instructions. In a large bowl, combine the flour, bran flakes and baking powder.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the milk, sour cream and honey. Mix together to make a batter.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form, then fold into the batter until just blended.
- Pour enough batter into the centre of the waffle maker to cover two-thirds of the grid. Close the lid and bake for about 4 minutes or until the lid will lift up easily. Remove the waffle with a fork and keep hot while baking the remainder.
- Serve the waffles hot with the sliced strawberries and honey to taste.