500 g fresh tofu
1 large ripe mango, peeled and cubed
lime wedges to serve
1-2 fresh red chillies, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or crushed
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon honey
grated zest and juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
Green mango salsa
2 tablespoons coconut cream
juice of 1 lime
1 large green unripe mango, peeled and coarsely grated
- Cover a large plate with several layers of paper towel. Arrange the tofu on top and cover with more paper, then put a plate on top and weigh down. Allow the tofu to drain for at least 30 minutes, then pour off the liquid and cut the tofu into 2.5 cm cubes.
- To make the marinade, combine all the ingredients in a shallow non-metallic bowl. Add the tofu to the bowl and marinate for at least 30 minutes, stirring and turning a few times. While the tofu is marinating, soak 8 wooden skewers in cold water.
- Make the salsa by mixing all the ingredients together with sea salt to taste in a small bowl and set aside until you are ready to cook.
- Lightly oil a barbecue hotplate and preheat the barbecue to medium heat. Lift the tofu out of the marinade and thread onto the skewers. Alternate the tofu with the mango cubes. Add the remaining marinade to the salsa.
- Cook the kebabs on the hotplate over direct heat, turning once or twice, for 6-8 minutes, or until the tofu is brown on all sides and heated through. Serve the tofu hot with the salsa, garnished with lime wedges.