These sweet snacks are like the pot of gold at the end of your family’s feast. With their yummy peppermint and marshmallow flavour, they’ll make even those without Irish hearts happy. These rice crispy bars will have the cook smiling, too, because they’re so easy to assemble.
Taste of Home
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups large marshmallows about 40
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal
- 6 ounces white candy coating coarsely chopped
- 4 drops green food colouring optional
- green sprinkles
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add marshmallows; cook and stir over low heat until melted. Remove from the heat; stir in extract and cereal. With buttered hands, press mixture into a greased foil-lined 13-in. x 9-in. pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Turn onto a cutting board; remove foil. Cut with a 3-in. shamrock cookie cutter; reshape shamrock stem if needed (save scraps for another use).
- In a microwave, melt candy coating at 70% power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave in additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth.
- If desired, stir in food colouring. Spoon over cutouts; spread evenly. Decorate with sprinkles. Let stand until set.
1 serving: 156 calories, 5g fat (4g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 71mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 0 fibre), 1g protein.