500 g skinless chicken breast fillets, pounded until 1 cm thick
4 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 red onion, cut into 4 thick rounds
1½ teaspoons sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 green capsicums, cut lengthwise into flat pieces
2 red capsicums, cut lengthwise into flat pieces
4 large flour tortillas
1 cup (150 g) crumbled goat’s cheese or feta
- Place the chicken on a plate and sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of the lime juice and ½ teaspoon of the salt. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, or at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat a barbecue hotplate or grill rack to medium-high heat. In a bowl, gently toss together onion, sugar, cinnamon, cumin, cloves and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and toss again to coat everything in oil.
- Toss the chicken with another tablespoon of the oil. Place on the barbecue hotplate or grill rack along with the onion and capsicums. Cook over direct heat for the following periods of time: cook the chicken for 5 minutes per side, or until cooked through; barbecue the onion for 4 minutes per side, or until lightly browned and crisp-tender; barbecue the capsicums, skin side down, for 10-12 minutes, or until the skin is charred.
- Remove the chicken and vegetables from the barbecue. Set the capsicum pieces aside to cool. When cool, remove the skins with your fingertips, then cut into large strips. Cut the chicken lengthwise into strips; cut the onion rounds in half. Transfer to a bowl, then add the remaining oil, lime juice and salt. Toss well.
- Divide the mixture among the tortillas. Sprinkle with goat’s cheese or feta, roll up like a cone and serve.