Number of servings : 2 L (8 cups)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Type of meal : | Beverages/Cocktails | Beverages/Cocktails
Special diet :
8 vanilla beans
250 ml (1 cup) water
400 g (2 cups) sugar
2 litres (8 cups) grain alcohol (40%)
Accessories: 4 x 500-ml (2-cup) glass jars with lids, 2 x 1-litre (4-cup) decorative bottles
- Slice the vanilla beans in two lengthwise.
- Place the beans in a pot with the water and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Combine the cooled syrup* with the alcohol and pour into the glass jars.
- Cover tightly and allow to macerate for 6 weeks in a cool, dark place.
- Strain the mixture through cheesecloth. Pour into decorative bottles and seal with new corks.
- Enjoy either before or after dinner.
*A syrup is a mix of sugar and water. It may be flavoured with various alcohols or extracts.