Number of servings : Makes 2 servings
Prep time: 20 Minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes stove top and “low” 6 to 8 hours
Type of meal : | Sandwiches | Sandwiches
Special diet :
Four ½-inch (1 cm) thick slices sourdough bread, about 4-1/2 inch (11 cm) square*
2 tbsp (30 mL) unsalted butter, softened
6 slices Canadian Provolone cheese (each 1 oz/30 g)
1 oz (30 g) Canadian Blue cheese, crumbled (about ¼ cup/60 mL)
6 oz (175 g) cooked BBQ Beef Pulled Short Ribs (about 1 cup/250 mL) (recipe follows)
1 vine ripened tomato, cut into wedges
2 tsp (10 mL) extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp (30 mL) Onion Jam (recipe follows)
1. Place bread slices on a work surface; butter one side and turn over butter side down. Place one and half slices of Provolone cheese on two bread slices; top evenly with Blue cheese, BBQ beef pulled short ribs, remaining Provolone cheese and bread, butter side up.
2. Heat a large skillet or electric griddle, over medium heat. Place sandwiches butter side down and cook, turning once, for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, toss tomato wedges with oil and a sprinkle of salt; divide among plates. Cut grilled cheese in half diagonally and spoon onion jam on top. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
*Bread: Trim ends of unsliced bread to make approximately a 4-1/2 inch (11 cm) square. Slice crosswise into 1/2- inch (1 cm) thick slices.
BBQ Beef Pulled Short Ribs
1 pound (454 g) beef short ribs
¼ cup (60 mL) chopped onion
1 sprig rosemary
1 sprig thyme
1 bay leaf
1 cup (250 mL) barbecue sauce
½ cup (125 mL) water
2 tbsp (30 mL) Bourbon
1 tsp (5 mL) grainy mustard
Pinch salt and pepper
1. In a 5 to 6-½ quart (5 to 6.5 L) slow cooker, place ribs; top with onion, rosemary, thyme and bay leaf. In a bowl, stir together, barbecue sauce, water, Bourbon, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over ribs. Cover and cook on low until meat is very tender, 6 to 8 hours.
2. Discard rosemary, thyme and bay leaf. Remove ribs and discard bones. With 2 forks, pull apart meat. Skim fat from liquid, and stir in about ¼ cup (60 mL) of the liquid into the meat to moisten.
1 tsp (5 mL) olive oil
1 cup (250 mL) thinly sliced red onion (about 4 oz/125 g)
2 tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar
2 tbsp (30 mL) Cassis liqueur
1 tbsp (15 mL) apple cider vinegar
1. In a small skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and sugar; cook stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add liqueur and cook, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes, adjusting heat as necessary. Add vinegar and cook, stirring frequently for 5 minutes or until it reaches jam consistency. Remove from heat immediately. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Cooking Tips: Need to save time? Here are some alternatives: instead of making onion jam, purchase your favourite sweet onion chutney and use shaved deli roast beef for the braising beef short ribs.
For a non-alcoholic version, replace Bourbon with apple juice and Cassis liqueur with black currant syrup.