Mighty Hero Sandwich
“My friend Valerie is a gracious hostess. Of all the dishes she’s shared over the years, this hero sandwich stands out. It’s easy and colourful, and the marinated veggies give it all kinds of oomph.” —Kelley Boyce, Tulsa, Oklahoma
Photo: Taste of Home
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 large tomato halved and sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 slices thinred onion separated into rings
- 1 round loaf sourdough bread 1 lb
- 1 small zucchini shredded
- 1/2 lb sliced deli turkey
- 6 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, whisk the first 6 ingredients until blended. Add tomato, mushrooms and onion; toss gently to coat. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut loaf horizontally in half. Hollow out both parts, leaving a 1/2-in.-thick shell (save removed bread for another use).
- Drain marinated vegetables, reserving marinade. Brush marinade over inside of bread halves. Top bottom half with zucchini. Layer with half the marinated vegetables, half the turkey and 3 slices cheese; repeat layers. Replace top of loaf. Cut into wedges.
1 piece: 233 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 636mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fibre), 16g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.