Shrimp Po’Boys with Pineapple Slaw
“This twist on the traditional po’boy sandwich adds flavour and veggies while reducing fat and calories. For a smoked flavour, grill the shrimp. For a lower-carb option, serve the po’boy open-faced on a baguette half.” —Melissa Pelkey Hass, Waleska, Georgia
Photo: Taste of Home
- 1/3 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp reduced-sodium Creole seasoning
- 1 lb uncooked shrimp peeled and deveined, 16-20 per pound
- 2 cups broccoli coleslaw mix
- Preheat oven to 400°. Pour egg substitute into a shallow bowl. In a separate shallow bowl, mix bread crumbs and Creole seasoning. Dip shrimp in egg substitute, then in crumb mixture, patting to help coating adhere. Bake in a greased 15x10x1-in. pan until shrimp turn pink, 7-9 minutes. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, combine broccoli slaw, pineapple and green onions. In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise and reserved pineapple liquid until smooth. Add to broccoli mixture; toss to coat.
- To serve, spread hoagie buns with tartar sauce. Divide tomato slices and shrimp among buns. Top with pineapple broccoli slaw.
1 sandwich: 420 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 1430mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 3g fibre), 23g protein.