Basil-Tomato Grilled Cheese
“The tastes of summer abound in this easy Italian-style grilled cheese sandwich. Not only is it delicious, it’s super-fast, so you can get back to those summer outdoor activities.” —Sylvia Schmitt, Sun City, Arizona
Photo: Taste of Home
- 8 inch slices Italian bread 3/4thick
- 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 large plum tomatoes sliced
- 2 tbsp minced fresh basil
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- On four slices of bread, layer mozzarella cheese and tomatoes; sprinkle with the basil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Top with remaining bread.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, Parmesan cheese and garlic powder; brush over the outsides of each sandwich.
- In a skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches until golden brown on both sides and cheese is melted.
1 sandwich: 467 calories, 27g fat (9g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 723mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fibre), 23g protein.