Pink Shortbread Cookie Sandwiches with Chocolate Ganache Icing
Number of servings : 24 Medium Cookies (12 Sandwiches) Prep time: Cooking time: 10-12 Minutes Type of meal : |
Number of servings : 24 Medium Cookies (12 Sandwiches)
Cooking time: 10-12 Minutes
Type of meal : | Cookies | Cookies
Special diet :
1 cup (250 mL) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
1 pinch salt
3-4 drops pink food colouring gel
Chocolate Ganache Icing:
1 ½ cup (375 mL) whipping cream
13 oz (390 g) good-quality bittersweet dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
3 tbsp (45 mL) unsalted butter, chopped into small pieces
For Chocolate Cookie:
- In a stand mixer bowl, or in large bowl with electric beaters, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. While mixing at low speed, add vanilla, then flour and salt. Once blended, add colouring gel on the end of a toothpick; mix until colour is just incorporated and desired shade of pink is achieved. Roll dough into a ball; flatten into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate, at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 300° F (150° C). Let the dough come to room temperature and knead on a generously floured work surface; roll out to ¼-inch (0.6 cm) thickness. Cut out cookies with a medium-sized heart-shaped cutter. Place on prepared baking sheets, spacing 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart, then chill in fridge, 10 minutes.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until cookies are just starting to darken on bottoms. Remove cookies from oven and leave on trays on rack to partially cool, 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to rack and let cool completely.
For Chocolate Ganache Icing:
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, heat cream just until steam rises, about 5 minutes (do not let boil). Remove from heat; pour onto chocolate and butter in a separate heatproof bowl. Whisk until smooth. Set aside to cool until barely warm, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Spoon frosting into a piping bag with a very small straight hole tube (No.4); pipe the bottom of the cookie in beads from the border to the centre until the entire cookie is covered (or spread on frosting with a spatula), then lightly top with another cookie.
(Photo: Tango Photographie)