Pineapple RumChata Shortcakes
“This deliciously different dessert is made in the slow cooker instead of the oven. When done, add final touches to the cooled pineapple shortcake jars and serve.” —Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 3 tbsp RumChata liqueur
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups pineapple cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tbsp sugar divided
- 2 tbsp RumChata liqueur
- 1 tsp grated lime zest
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, whisk egg, sour cream and RumChata. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Spoon mixture into 6 greased half-pint jars. Centre lids on jars and screw on bands until fingertip tight. Place jars in a 6- or 7-qt. oval slow cooker; add enough hot water to reach half way up the jars, about 5 cups. Cook, covered, on high 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in centre of shortcake comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, combine pineapple, 2 tablespoons sugar, RumChata and lime zest. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour. Remove jars from slow cooker to wire racks to cool completely. In a large, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add remaining 1 tablespoon sugar; beat until soft peaks form.
- Top shortcakes with pineapple mixture, whipped cream and, if desired, lime slices.
1 serving: 463 calories, 28g fat (17g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 442mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fibre), 6g protein.