Lamb and White Bean Chili
“I created a fresh take on chili using lamb and Moroccan seasoning with a feta and almond garnish. It was so exciting and tasty to my husband and son, I made a second batch almost right away. If you like a spicier chili, add harissa paste or use medium salsa instead of mild.” —Arlene Erlbach, Morton Grove, Illinois
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 cup red onion coarsely chopped
- 15 oz cannellini beans undrained
- 16 oz mild chunky salsa
- 3 tbsp Moroccan seasoning divided
- 4-1/2 tsp lemon zest finely chopped, divided
- 3 tbsp orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley minced
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook lamb and onion over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Transfer lamb mixture to a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. Add beans.
- In a small bowl, combine salsa, 1-1/2 tablespoons Moroccan seasoning and 3 teaspoons lemon zest. Pour over beans and lamb; stir until well combined. Cook, covered, on low for 6 hours or until onions are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine marmalade with remaining Moroccan seasoning and lemon zest; stir into slow cooker. Cook, covered, 15 minutes longer. Sprinkle each serving with parsley, cheese and almonds. If desired, serve with additional red onion and naan or pita bread.
- Test Kitchen tips: Replace part of the lamb with additional beans or chickpeas for a lower-cost meal.
1 cup: 438 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 840mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 7g fibre), 28g protein.