Macaroon Cherry Pie
“I use homegrown cherries in this bountiful pie with its unique crunchy coconut topping. But I’ve found that purchased tart cherries yield a dessert that’s nearly as delicious. I always bake this pie around Presidents Day or Valentine’s Day, but it’s popular with my family in any season.” —Lori Daniels, Beverly, West Virginia
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|8servings||25minutes||35minutes + chilling|
|35minutes + chilling|
- dough for single-crust pie
- 3 cans pitted tart cherries 14-1/2 ounces each
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp red food colouring optional
- 1 large egg room temperature, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp 2% milk
- 1 tbsp butter melted
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. cast-iron skillet or deep-dish pie plate with crust. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Bake 6 minutes; set aside.
- Drain cherries, reserving 1 cup juice. Set cherries aside. In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir in cherry juice until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir until thickened, 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in cinnamon and food colouring if desired. Gently fold in cherries. Pour into crust. Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 400° 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine first 6 topping ingredients. Stir in coconut and almonds.
- Remove foil from pie; spoon topping over pie. Reduce oven to 350°; bake until topping is lightly browned, 15-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 1 hour. Chill 4 hours or overnight before cutting.
Combine 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 tsp. salt; cut in 1/2 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 3-5 Tbsp. ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a disk; wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
1 piece: 434 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 199mg sodium, 70g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 3g fibre), 5g protein.