Cinnamon Roll Cherry Cobbler
“Red Hots and canned cherries flavour this memorable dessert from my childhood. I hadn’t had it in years, so when I found my mother’s recipe, I had to make it to see if it’s as good as I remembered. It is!” —Betty Zorn, Eagle, Idaho
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|8servings||30minutes||25minutes + cooling|
|25minutes + cooling|
- 1 can pitted tart cherries 14-1/2 ounces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp red-hot candies
- Cinnamon roll topping:
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp brown sugar divided
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp butter softened
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Lemon glaze:
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Drain cherries, reserving juice; set cherries aside. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water and reserved juice until smooth. Stir in red-hots. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until thick and bubbly and red-hots are melted. Stir in cherries; heat through. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Combine egg and milk; stir into crumb mixture just until blended.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 3-4 times. Roll into a 14x10-in. rectangle. Spread with butter; sprinkle with pecans. Combine cinnamon and remaining brown sugar; sprinkle over top.
- Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cut into eight slices; place cut side down over cherry filling.
- Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over cobbler.
1 slice: 363 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 299mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fibre), 4g protein.