Chocolate Shortbread Cookie Sandwiches with Pink Vanilla Frosting
Number of servings : 24 Medium Cookies (12 Sandwiches) Prep time: Cooking time: 10-12 Minutes Type of meal : |
Number of servings : 24 Medium Cookies (12 Sandwiches)
Cooking time: 10-12 Minutes
Type of meal : | Cookies | Cookies
Special diet :
1 cup (250 mL) unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
½ cup (125 mL) powdered cocoa
1 pinch salt
Pink Vanilla Frosting:
1/3 cup (75 mL) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
¼ cup (50 mL) whipping cream
3 1/2 cups (875 mL) icing sugar, sifted
3-4 drops pink food colouring gel, or enough to achieve desired colour
For Chocolate Cookie:
- In a stand mixer bowl, or in large bowl with electric beaters, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes; mix in vanilla. Into medium bowl, sift flour, powdered cocoa and salt. Slowly add to butter mixture, while mixing at a low speed. Roll dough into a ball; flatten into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate, at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 300° F (150° C). Let the dough come to room temperature and knead on a generously floured work surface; roll out to ¼-inch (0.6 cm) thickness. Cut out cookies with a medium-sized heart-shaped cutter. Place on prepared baking sheets, spacing 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart, then chill in fridge, 10 minutes.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until cookies are just starting to darken on bottoms. Remove cookies from oven and leave on trays on rack to partially cool, 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to rack and let cool completely.
For Pink Vanilla Frosting:
- In a stand mixer bowl, or in large bowl with electric beaters, cream butter until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add salt, vanilla and whipping cream and mix until well incorporated. While mixing at a low speed, gradually add icing sugar, half a cup at a time. (If frosting is stiff, mix in extra whipping cream one teaspoon at a time, until smooth enough for piping.)
- Spoon frosting into a piping bag with a very small straight hole tube (No. 4); pipe the bottom of the cookie in beads from the border to the centre until the entire cookie is covered (or spread on frosting with a spatula), then lightly top with another cookie.
(Photo: Tango Photographie)