Chilled Lime Cheesecake
Silken tofu makes a light and creamy filling for this no-bake cheesecake, and the sweet-tart flavour of pomegranate complements it perfectly. If pomegranates aren’t available, substitute blueberries or raspberries.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|8-10||30minutes + 3 hours setting||5minutes|
|8-10||30minutes + 3 hours setting|
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 600 g silken tofu drained
- 2/3 cup low-fat natural yogurt
- 1/3 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp powdered clear gelatin
- 1 pomegranate
- Combine the oil, brown sugar, flour and ground almonds in a non-stick frying pan. Stir over medium heat for 5 minutes, until golden brown. Transfer the mixture to a plate and place in the fridge to cool.
- Combine the tofu, yogurt, icing sugar, vanilla, lime zest and lime juice in a food processor, and process until smooth.
- Pour 2-1/2 tablespoons cold water into a small heatproof bowl and sprinkle with the gelatin. Leave for 1 minutes, until softened. Sit the bowl in a larger bowl of boiling water, then whisk until the gelatin has dissolved. Stir a spoonful of the tofu mixture into the gelatin, then add to the mixture in the food processor and briefly process to combine.
- Lay a large sheet of baking (parchment) paper over the base of an 18 cm (7-inch) springform cake tin (pan), then clip the side into place, leaving the excess paper sticking out the side of the tin. Lightly oil the side of the tin. Pour in the tofu mixture, and evenly sprinkle the almond mixture over the top. Refrigerate for 3 hours, until set.
- Remove the seeds from half the pomegranate, and press the other half using a citrus squeezer to extract the juice.
- Run a non-serrated knife around the tin to loosen the cheesecake. Invert onto a serving plate, remove the side of the tin and peel off the paper. Spoon the pomegranate seeds over the cheesecake and drizzle with the pomegranate juice. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.
The cheesecake does not keep its shape for long once it has been inverted, so turn it out just before serving. To extract the pomegranate seeds, cut the pomegranate in half crosswise. Hold the pomegranate under water, break apart and prise out all of the seeds, discarding the white membrane.
Each serving provides:
8 g protein
9 g fat
20 g carbohydrate
1 g fibre
25 mg sodium