Lynn Crawford’s Beet Cured Trout Rosti with Mimosa Eggs and Trout Roe
This recipe by Lynn Crawford, chef and Egg Farmers of Canada ambassador, is the perfect hors d’oeuvres or first course to a meal.
Photo: Egg Farmers of Canada
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- Beet Cured Trout
- 4 trout fillets skin on, pin bones removed and patty dry
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup pink peppercorns cracked
- 4 cup red beets peeled and finely grated
- 2 tbsp vodka
- 1 bunch fresh dill roughly chopped
- 2 oranges zest
- Potato Rosti
- 2 lb Russet potatoes peeled
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- kosher salt for seasoning
- To Assemble
- 12 slices beet cured trout
- 1 potato rosti
- 2 hard boiled eggs peeled and chilled
- 1/4 cup Crème fraiche
- 1 tbsp chives chopped
- 2 tbsp trout roe
Beet Cured Trout
- Lay fillets skin side down in a 9x13-inch glass baking dish. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, salt and peppercorns and sprinkle evenly over fillets. Mix together beets and orange zest and sprinkle evenly over sugar-salt mixture. Sprinkle vodka over beet-zest mixture, arrange dill over top, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, scrape off dill and beet mixture and pat dry with paper towel. With skin side down, slice crosswise across fillet in very thin slices (discard skin).
- On the large holes of a box grater, grate potatoes into a large bowl. Stir in salt and let sit for 2 minutes. Squeeze out excess liquid and shape potatoes into small mounds, (about 1 heaping tablespoon for bite sized appetizers).
- In a large skillet over medium low heat, heat oil and melt butter. Add potato cakes in batches (do not overcrowd pan), and using a metal spatula, gently press cakes down unti ¼ inch thick. Cook, turning once, until golden, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer rosti to a paper towel lined tray. Season lightly with salt. Repeat with remaining cakes until done.
- Prepare Mimosa Eggs: Push hard boiled eggs one at a time through a fine metal sieve. Set aside.
- Arrange one slice of cured trout on each rosti. Top with a dollop of crème fraiche, trout roe, chopped chives and egg garnish. Serve immediately.
Nutrients per Serving:
Saturated Fat 3 g
Trans Fat 0.1g