“The rhubarb flavour in this tart balances nicely with the honey and amaretto. The mascarpone cheese makes it rich and creamy. Sometimes I’ll even double the rhubarb for really sumptuous tarts.” —Ellen Riley, Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|2tarts||35minutes||15minutes + cooling|
|15minutes + cooling|
- 1 pkg frozen puff pastry thawed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp water
- Rhubarb Topping
- 12 rhubarb ribs
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tbsp amaretto
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese
- 2 tbsp amaretto
- 1 tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 400°. Unfold 1 pastry sheet and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet; repeat with remaining pastry sheet. Whisk egg and water; brush over pastries. Using a sharp knife, score a 1-in. border around edges of pastry sheets (do not cut through). With a fork, prick centre of pastries. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. With a spatula, press down centre portion of pastries, leaving outer edges intact. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Meanwhile, for topping, arrange rhubarb in a single layer in a 13x9-in. baking dish. Combine orange juice, honey and amaretto; pour over rhubarb. Bake at 400° until rhubarb is just tender but still holds its shape, about 10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, reserving cooking liquid; let rhubarb cool. Transfer reserved cooking liquid to a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 20 minutes. Cool.
- For filling, stir together mascarpone cheese, amaretto and honey until smooth. Spread mascarpone mixture over centre of each pastry. Top with rhubarb ribs. Brush rhubarb with cooled cooking liquid. Refrigerate leftovers.
Test Kitchen tips
- Normally, we'd say you could use frozen rhubarb with equally good results, but in this case you definitely need the fresh, long stalks to achieve this spectacular look.
- By scoring around the edge of the pastry before baking it, you'll create a way to make a border after it's baked.
1 piece: 259 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 115mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fibre), 4g protein.