Rhubarb Cherry Pie
“As a young girl, I dreamed of being able to make pies like my mother. (Her rolling pin, which I inherited, was 2 ft. long and 8 in. wide!) In fact, this is Mom’s rhubarb strawberry pie recipe with cherries instead. I first made this pie for a church gathering 20 years ago—ever since, everyone’s looked for it at every potluck!” —Eunice Hurt, Murfreesboro, Tennessee
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|8servings||10minutes + standing||40minutes|
|8servings||10minutes + standing|
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can pitted tart red cherries drained, 16 ounces
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 4 to 5 drops red food colouring optional
- pastry for double-crust pie 9 inches
- In a large bowl, combine first 5 ingredients; let stand for 15 minutes. Line a 9-in. pie plate with crust. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate. Add filling. Top with a lattice or other decorative crust. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom crust; flute edge.
- Bake at 400° until the crust is golden and filling is bubbling, 40-50 minutes.
1 piece: 433 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 206mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 1g fibre), 3g protein.