Pineapple Upside-Down Muffin Cakes
“A friend submitted this recipe to a cookbook our school district was compiling. The first time I made them, the whole family declared the recipe a winner. Delicious and healthy to boot, they remain favourites to this day.” —Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- Pineapple Slices
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Melted butter
- 3 small cans pineapple slices
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray. Mix brown sugar and melted butter; divide among prepared cups. Quarter each pineapple slice; place one piece in each cup.
- For cakes, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with yogurt and milk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill prepared cups two-thirds full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean, 12-15 minutes. Cool in pan two minutes; invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature.
1 muffin cake: 177 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 178mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 0 fibre), 3g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.