Peameal Bacon & Egg on a Bun with Spring Onion Relish and Honey Mustard Aioli
Chef Lynn Crawford sure knows how to make a sandwich delicious. The aioli works so well with a runny yolk that you’ll be asking for seconds in no time. Share it over brunch, lunch or dinner!
Photo: Courtesy of Egg Farmers of Canada
- Honey Mustard Aioli (Makes 1 Cup)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- Spring Onion Pickle Relish (Makes 1 Cup)
- 6 slices maple bacon diced
- 1/2 cup celery finely diced
- 1/4 cup spring onions finely diced
- 1 small red chili seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup dill pickle finely diced
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp celery leaves chopped
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley chopped
- to taste kosher salt
- to taste ground black pepper
- Peameal Sandwiches
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1 lb peameal bacon thickly sliced into 16 slices
- 4 large eggs
- 4 kaiser rolls
- 4 butter lettuce leaves
Honey Mustard Aioli
- In a small bowl, stir together garlic, salt, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice and honey. Cover and refrigerate. Will keep for up to one week.
Spring Onion Pickle Relish
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, cook maple bacon until crisp. Add celery, spring onions and chili. Toss together. Add pickles and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in celery leaves and parsley. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together honey and mustard. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 slices of bacon and brush tops with honey mustard to coat well. Turn and brush with more glaze. Cook bacon until golden brown and cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove bacon to a plate and repeat with remaining bacon.
- Crack eggs into another pan, breaking yolks if desired. Cook until whites are almost set, then cover the pan with a lid and cook 30 seconds more.
- Cut rolls in half. Spread 1 tablespoon of honey mustard aioli on the bottom half of each roll. Layer each sandwich with a lettuce leaf, 4 slices of peameal bacon and an egg. Finish each sandwich with a large spoonful of spring onion pickle relish.
Nutrients per Serving:
Fat: 28 g
Saturated Fat: 6 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 261 mg
Sodium: 2043 mg
Sugars: 20 g
Fibre: 3 g
Protein: 33 g
Carbohydrate: 57 g