Ned’s Famous Beef, Pork, Tabasco® Chipotle & Black Bean Chili
“This is a simple one-pot dinner. My kids love it, it’s very versatile and can be used for a number of other recipes and family meals.” — Chef Ned Bell
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons cracked black pepper
- 6 tablespoons kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons dehydrated onions
- 4 tablespoons dehydrated garlic
- 1 small can tomato paste (156 mL)
- 3 large canned fire-roasted tomatoes diced (28 oz.)
- 3 cans black beans (398 mL)
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 bottle Tabasco® Chipotle sauce (57 mL) or half-bottle, to taste
I like to serve it with a healthy salad or steamed broccoli, a loaf of my favourite bread, some grated cheddar cheese and sour cream.
You could turn this recipe into a vegan chili by replacing the ground beef and pork with plant-based ground protein, or by adding 2 cans of chickpeas (to replace the beef) and 2 cans of lentils (to replace the pork).
Because this chili is relatively mild, it’s easily incorporated into many other recipes. Here are a few examples.
- Tacos: Make your favourite tacos by heating up the chili mix and serving on soft corn tortillas or hard corn taco shells. Serve family-style with sliced avocados, diced fresh tomatoes, diced red onions, chopped cilantro.
- Lasagna: Layer pasta sheets in a casserole dish with the chili mix, spinach, zucchini, grated Parmesan, grated mozzarella and ricotta cheese and bake in a 375-degree oven uncovered for 1 hour.