Mini Pumpkin Cakes
“I saw these cute cakes at a local grocery store and decided to make my own version at home. They’re a hit at any fall gathering.” —Jennifer Dorff, Waukesha, Wisconsin
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|1dozen||1-1/2hours||20minutes + standing|
|20minutes + standing|
- 1 package spice cake mix regular size
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding mix 3.4 ounces
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- orange glaze:
- 7-1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp maple flavouring
- Red and yellow food colouring
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- green food colouring
- 4 ounces Tootsie Rolls cut into 2-inch pieces, 2-1/4and 6 inches each
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds; beat on medium for 2 minutes. Fold in walnuts. Spoon by 1/2 cupfuls into 12 greased miniature fluted tube pans. Bake at 350° until set, about 20-25 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the confectioners' sugar, water and maple flavouring until smooth; tint orange with red and yellow food colouring. Place wire racks with cakes over waxed paper. Spoon half of the glaze evenly over tops and sides of cakes, letting excess drip off. Let stand until glaze is set. Repeat with remaining glaze.
- In a small bowl, beat confectioners' sugar and water until smooth; tint green. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a #4 round pastry tip. Fill bag with green frosting. Pipe vines on the pumpkins. For stem, insert a Tootsie Roll piece in the centre of each pumpkin.
Test Kitchen Tips
- This cake is scrumptious and perfectly seasonal, but if you're in a pinch or digging a different flavour, plain box cake works with this technique, too!
- Our trick for bundt cakes that release seamlessly? We use a pastry brush to apply a paper-thin layer of melted shortening—making sure to reach every nook and cranny—then we flour the cake pan and hit it with a fine mist of cooking spray.
1 each: 813 calories, 21g fat (4g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 481mg sodium, 152g carbohydrate (127g sugars, 2g fibre), 7g protein.