Incredible Coconut Cake
“I found this coconut cake recipe in a newspaper many years ago and modified it to suit my taste. This is my all-time favourite cake, and my family and friends absolutely love it.” —Lynne Bassler, Indiana, Pennsylvania
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|16servings||35minutes||25minutes + chilling|
|25minutes + chilling|
- 5 large eggs separated
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut chopped
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 11 oz cream cheese softened
- 2/3 cup butter softened
- 4-1/3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1-1/4 tsp coconut extract
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut toasted
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°. In another large bowl, beat sugar, butter and oil until well blended. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in coconut and extracts..
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on medium until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Transfer to 3 greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and extract; beat until smooth.
- Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting and sprinkle with 1/3 cup coconut. Repeat. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Refrigerate for 2 hours before cutting. Store in the refrigerator.
1 piece: 689 calories, 37g fat (21g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 353mg sodium, 85g carbohydrate (64g sugars, 1g fibre), 6g protein.