Dutch Cranberry-Apple Pie
“Fresh cranberries bring tongue-tingling tartness and vivid colour to classic apple pie. With orange peel, spices and a crumb topping, this is a family favourite.” —Jerri Gradert, Lincoln, Nebraska
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 3 large apples peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pastry for single-crust pie
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice; add the cranberries, raisins and walnuts. Combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, orange zest, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to apple mixture and toss gently to coat.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate; transfer to plate. Trim crust to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edges. Fill with apple mixture and dot with butter.
- For topping, combine flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly. If necessary, cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning.
1 piece: 427 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 163mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 3g fibre), 3g protein.