Deep-Fried Mac & Cheese Shells
“I created this deep-friend mac and cheese recipe for my husband, who loves mac and cheese. He describes this recipe as ‘unbelievably delicious’ because of the crispy deep-fried coating and the creamy richness on the inside.” —Shirley Rickis, Lady Lake, Florida
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|20appetizers (2-1/2 cups dipping sauce)||45minutes||15minutes|
|20appetizers (2-1/2 cups dipping sauce)||45minutes|
- 2 cups uncooked small pasta shells
- 20 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 package Velveeta cubed, 16 ounces
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese divided
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk divided
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
Portions: appetizers (2-1/2 cups dipping sauce)
Test Kitchen Tips
- Sharp cheddar cheese has been aged longer than regular cheddar. As cheese ages, its flavour becomes more pronounced. Using aged cheese in a recipe can add complexity and rich flavour, even to humble favourites like mac ’n’ cheese.
- In Europe, Parmigiano-Reggiano and Parmesan are considered the same cheese. But in the U.S., Parmesan is a generic term that may not come from Italy’s Parmigiano-Reggiano region. Using the authentic Italian cheese (in a lesser amount than the original’s ½ cup) ensures a cheesy richness in the makeover with less fat and calories.
1 appetizer with 2 tablespoons dipping sauce: 340 calories, 23g fat (10g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 451mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fibre), 12g protein.