Freshly grated zucchini and finely chopped mint pair nicely with salty feta cheese and onions in this unique twist on the traditional pancake. Served with a side of sour cream, this will become a meal-time staple, from brunch to supper.
Photo: Walmart Canada
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh mint finely chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- sour cream optional
- Coarsely grate zucchini, either in a food processor or with the large holes of a box grater (no need to peel them). In a medium bowl, stir grated zucchini with salt. Let stand 10 min.
- Separate eggs. Whisk egg whites in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on high, until stiff, 2 to 3 min. Reserve.
- Transfer zucchini to a colander and rinse well. Using your hands, squeeze out as much of the water as possible. Return to the bowl and mix in egg yolks, feta, green onions and mint until well-combined. Sprinkle flour over top and mix well. Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick fry pan over medium. Working in batches, add a level, 1/4 cup (60 ml) zucchini mixture, flattening into a pancake shape. Fill the pan with pancakes. Cook 2 to 3 min per side or until golden. Serve immediately with sour cream alongside, or keep warm on a rack set over a baking sheet in a 200⁰F (95⁰C) oven.
For more delicious and economical recipes that feature in-season fresh Canadian produce, visit the Walmart Recipe Centre.