Number of servings : 4
Prep time: about 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Type of meal : | Desserts | Desserts
Special diet :
1 ½ teaspoons sugar
1 can (14 ounce) lite apricot halves, drained
2 large eggs, separated
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
Unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and place a cookie tray inside to heat. Lightly butter four 175 ml ramekins and dust the sides with the sugar, shaking out any excess.
- Put the apricot halves, egg yolks, cream, sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Place the egg whites in a clean bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Sift the cream of tartar over and continue whisking until stiff peaks form. Spoon the apricot mixture over the egg whites and, using a large metal spoon, fold together, taking care not to over-mix and deflate the egg whites.
- Divide the apricot mixture between the ramekins. Use a round-bladed knife to mark a circle in the middle of each soufflé; this helps the tops to rise evenly.
- Place the ramekins on the cookie sheet and bake in the middle of the oven until the soufflés are well risen and golden brown on top, about 15 minutes. Immediately dust with confectioners’ sugar, or a mixture of sifted confectioners’ sugar and cocoa powder. Serve at once.