Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Hors d’oeuvres | Hors d’oeuvres
Special diet : | Vegetarian
1 large red bell pepper, halved lengthwise and seeded
1 large green bell pepper, halved lengthwise and seeded
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large red onion, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (540 ml) cannellini beans or white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
1 ½ teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups canned crushed tomatoes
1/3 cup raisins
85 g (3 oz) soft goat cheese, crumbled
- In a vegetable steamer, cook the pepper halves, cut-side down, for 10 minutes, or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a medium nonstick skillet, heat the oil over low heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion is golden brown. Measure out 1/4 cup of the onion mixture and transfer it to a bowl. Add the beans and tomato paste to the bowl, and mash with a potato masher or a spoon.
- To the onion mixture remaining in the skillet, add the sesame seeds, cocoa powder, oregano, cinnamon, and salt; cook for 1 minute. Stir in the crushed tomatoes and raisins; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer; cover and cook for 5 minutes to blend the flavours. Transfer to a food processor or blender and puree.
- Return the puree to the skillet and stir in N cup of water. Add the steamed peppers, cut-side up. Spoon the bean mixture into the peppers; cover and cook for 5 minutes, or until the bean mixture is heated through. Spoon a little of the sauce over the beans and sprinkle with cheese; cover and cook for 2 minutes to melt the cheese.
- To serve, spoon some of the sauce onto each plate, top with a pepper half and a little more sauce.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:1751