“For years I’ve taken these crispy, crunchy snacks to work. They get high marks from everybody in the teachers lounge.” —Eileen Ball, Cornelius, North Carolina
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|4dozen||20minutes + chilling||15minutes/batch|
|4dozen||20minutes + chilling|
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2-1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 250 grams
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2-1/2 cups Rice Krispies
- pecan halves optional
- Beat butter and cheese until blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt and cayenne; gradually beat into cheese mixture. Stir in Rice Krispies. If necessary, turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead 4-6 times, forming a stiff dough.
- Divide dough in half; shape each into a 7-in.-long roll. Wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. If desired, top each slice with a pecan half. Bake until edges are golden brown, 14-16 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- To Make Ahead: Dough can be made 2 days in advance. Freeze option: Freeze wrapped logs in an airtight container. To use, unwrap frozen logs and cut into slices. Bake as directed.
1 cracker: 87 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 92mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fibre), 2g protein.