Number of servings : 22 scones
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
Type of meal : | Breads and muffins | Breads and muffins
Special diet :
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
2 tablespoons wheat germ
4 teaspoons baking powder
a good pinch of freshly ground black pepper
1 plum tomato, seeded and finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 teaspoons tomato paste
250 g plain low-fat yogourt or 3/4 cup buttermilk
2% milk to glaze
- Preheat the oven 230°C. In a large bowl, mix together the plain flour, whole-wheat flour, wheat germ, baking powder and pepper.
- In a smaller bowl, mix the tomato, basil and tomato paste with the yogourt. Add to the flour mixture. Mix with a fork to make a soft dough that leaves the sides of the bowl.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly four to six times. Roll out to 1 cm thickness. Cut out rounds using a floured 5 cm cutter, using a firm downward action without twisting the cutter.
- Gather the dough trimmings and press them together, without kneading, then roll out and cut more rounds.
- Arrange the rounds, 2.5 cm apart, on a lightly greased baking tray. Brush the tops of the scones with 2% milk, then bake for 10–12 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.