Soft Giant Pretzels
“My husband and our friends and family love these soft, chewy pretzels. Let the bread machine mix the dough, then all you have to do is shape and bake these fun snacks.” —Sherry Peterson, Fort Collins, Colorado
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 cup (plus 2 tablespoons) water (70° to 80°) divided
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 quarts water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- coarse salt
- In a bread machine pan, place 1 cup water and next 3 ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting. Check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or flour if needed.
- When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 8 balls. Roll each into a 20-in. rope; form into pretzel shape.
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large saucepan, bring 2 quarts water and the baking soda to a boil. Drop pretzels into boiling water, 2 at a time; boil for 10-15 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Place pretzels on greased baking sheets. Bake until golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Spritz or lightly brush with remaining 2 Tbsp. water. Sprinkle with salt.
1 pretzel: 193 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fibre), 5g protein.