Traditional Chocolate Chip Muffins
“Muffins are one of my favourite things to bake, and these are the best. I always keep some in the freezer for breakfast on the run. I can zap one in the microwave before I head out the door.” —Kelly Kirby Westville, Nova Scotia
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts optional
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in yogurt and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips. Fill 12 paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack. Serve warm.
1 each: 308 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 319mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fibre), 5g protein.