Wonderful English Muffins
“When I was growing up on a farm, my mom always seemed to be making homemade bread…nothing tasted so good! Now I like to make these simple yet delicious muffins for my own family.” —Linda Rasmussen, Twin Falls, Idaho
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|12muffins||30minutes + rising||25minutes|
|12muffins||30minutes + rising|
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter cubed
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 packages active dry yeast 1/4 ounce each
- 1 cup warm water 110° to 115°
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups to 3-1/2whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- Scald milk in a saucepan; add butter, sugar and salt. Stir until butter melts; cool to lukewarm. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; add to milk mixture. Stir in all-purpose flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour until smooth. Add sesame seeds, poppy seeds and enough remaining whole wheat flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Roll to 1/3-in. thickness on a cornmeal-covered surface. Cut into circles with a 3-1/2-in. or 4-in. cutter; cover with a towel and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Place muffins, cornmeal side down, in a greased skillet; cook over medium-low heat for 12-14 minutes or until bottoms are browned. Turn and cook about 12-14 minutes or until browned. Cool on wire racks; split and toast to serve.
1 muffin: 240 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fibre), 7g protein.