Tasty Lentil Tacos
“When my husband’s cholesterol numbers rose, I quickly lowered the fat in our family’s diet. Finding dishes that were healthy for him and yummy for our five children was a challenge, but this fun taco recipe was a huge hit with everyone.” —Michelle Thomas, Bangor, Maine
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 cup dried lentils rinsed
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2-1/2 cups vegetable or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 12 taco shells
- 1-1/2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 6 tbsp fat-free sour cream
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat; saute onion and garlic until tender. Add lentils and seasonings; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, 25-30 minutes.
- Cook, uncovered, until mixture is thickened, 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mash lentils slightly; stir in salsa and heat through. Serve in taco shells. Top with remaining ingredients.
2 tacos: 365 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 777mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fibre), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.