Number of servings : 12
Type of meal : | Breads and muffins | Breads and muffins
Special diet :
1 large sweet potato (about 12 oz / 375 g)
2 scallions, thinly sliced
3 – 3-1/2 cups (750 – 875 mL) flour
3 tbsp (45 mL) fat-free dry milk
2 tbsp (30 mL) light brown sugar
1 packet rapid-rise yeast
1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) salt
1/2 cup (125 mL) very warm water (115º to 120ºF / 46º to 48ºC)
2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
3 tbsp (45 mL) low-fat (1%) milk
- Preheat oven to 425ºF (245ºC). Bake sweet potato until tender, about 1 hour. When cool enough to handle, peel and transfer to large bowl. With potato masher, mash sweet potato until very smooth. Stir in the scallions and mix well.
- Stir in 3 cups (750 mL) flour, dry milk, brown sugar, yeast, and salt. Stir in warm water and oil until well combined. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, adding remaining 1/2 cup (125 mL) flour if necessary to make a fairly stiff dough that’s slightly sticky.
- Transfer dough to lightly greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Punch dough down, cover, and let rise again until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch down dough and cut into 12 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment. Cover and let rise until puffy, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Brush rolls with milk and bake until they are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom, about 30 minutes. Cool 15 minutes before serving.