Number of servings : Makes 24 cupcakes
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 20-24 minutes
Type of meal : | Desserts | Desserts
Special diet :
18 ounces sweet or sour cherries, pitted, stems removed
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup superfine sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon kirsch
2 1/4 cups self-rising flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Using electric beaters, beat the butter, sugar, grated lemon zest, and kirsch in a bowl until mixture is pale and creamy.
- Gradually stir in the eggs. Sift in 1 1/2 cups of the flour. Stir until combined. Place remaining flour on a deep plate. Make sure cherries are dry, then toss them in the flour.
- Carefully stir the cherries into the cake mixture. Fill the paper cases two-thirds full with mixture.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Place pans on a wire rack and leave muffins to cool. Serve with whipped cream, if liked, on the day of baking.