Strawberry Buttermilk Skillet Shortcake
“This scratch-made strawberry buttermilk cake is a family favourite. My grandma even carries out our family tradition by making this old-fashioned recipe each summer.” —Claudia Lamascolo, Melbourne, Florida
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 10 tbsp shortening
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- Streusel Topping
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream shortening, butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Transfer to a 12-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet.
- For streusel topping, in a small bowl, mix flour, sugar, cinnamon and allspice; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. Top with strawberries. Bake until centre is puffed and edges are golden brown, 50-60 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream.
Test Kitchen tips
- Blot the strawberries dry after washing and slicing; use only the firm ones.
- Try sprinkling cinnamon and sugar on top for a glistening top during the baking.
- Do not overbake; bake just until at toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
1 slice: 526 calories, 27g fat (12g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 418mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fibre), 6g protein.