Steamed Chinese Dumplings
These Chinese dumplings are made with a few simple ingredients, and are healthy for you since they’re steamed not fried.
Number of servings : 24 dumplings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Type of meal : | Hors d’oeuvres | Hors d’oeuvres
Special diet :
3 tbsp (45 mL) reduced-sodium soy sauce
½ tsp (2 mL) cornstarch
½ tsp (2 mL) ground ginger
3 oz (85 g) lean ground turkey
⅓ cup (75 mL) chopped cilantro
3 scallions, minced
¼ cup (60 mL) sliced water chestnuts, minced
24 round wonton wrappers (3-½ in / 9.5 cm)
3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh lime juice
1 tsp (5 mL) sugar
- Combine 1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce, corn- starch, and ginger in medium bowl. Add ground turkey, cilantro, scallions, and water chestnuts, and mix well.
- Place wonton wrappers on work surface. Spoon a rounded teaspoon of turkey mixture onto centre of each wrapper. Moisten edges with water. Fold wrapper over and pleat to seal.
- Spray large heatproof plate with cooking spray. Place 12 dumplings on plate.
- Place round cake rack in large skillet and pour in water to come just to bottom of rack. Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Place plate of dumplings on rack, cover, and steam until filling is firm and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove and keep warm. Repeat with remaining dumplings.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) soy sauce, lime juice, and sugar in small skillet over low heat and cook just until sugar has melted, about 1 minute. Serve dumplings with dipping sauce.