“My family is of German Lutheran descent, and although we enjoy this traditional beef roast, I never liked the amount of time and fuss it takes to make it. This recipe is so good and oh-so-easy. It’s great served with dumplings, spaetzle, veggies or a salad.” —Norma English, Baden, Pennsylvania
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 bottle ketchup (14 oz.)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp mixed pickling spices
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast or rump roast (3-4 lbs.)
- 4 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups crushed gingersnap cookies (about 30 cookies)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Mix first six ingredients. Place roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add water. Pour ketchup mixture over top. Add cookie crumbs. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 6-8 hours.
- Remove roast from slow cooker; keep warm. Strain cooking juices; skim fat. Transfer 4 cups juices to a saucepan; bring to a boil. Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with roast.
1 serving: 475 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 858mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 1g fibre), 35g protein.