Slow-Cooker Mac and Cheese
“This classic casserole is a rich and cheesy meatless main dish. I’ve never met anyone who didn’t ask for a second helping.” —Bernice Glascoe, Roxboro, North Carolina
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 package elbow macaroni 16 ounces
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese divided
- 1 can evaporated milk 12 ounces
- 1 can condensed cheddar cheese soup undiluted, 10-3/4 ounces
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add butter. In a large bowl, mix 3 cups cheese, evaporated milk, condensed soup, 2% milk and eggs. Pour over macaroni mixture; stir to combine. Cook, covered, on low for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until a thermometer reads at least 160°.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cook, covered, on low until cheese is melted, 15-20 minutes longer. Sprinkle with paprika.
Slow-Cooker Mac and Cheese Tips
Can you put uncooked pasta in a Crock-Pot?
Yes, you can put uncooked pasta in a Crock-Pot, or any other slow cooker, though you may need to add additional liquid for the macaroni noodles to absorb. This is a great tip for those who prefer firmer noodles in their mac and cheese.
Can you put cheese in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can. However, if you're encountering issues with cheese separating, reserve cheese for the last 15-20 minutes of cook time. Keep this tip in mind when you're trying other slow-cooker recipes.
What cheese makes the best macaroni and cheese?
Cheddar is the most classic choice for mac and cheese. Gruyere, gouda, brie and parmesan work well, too.
What can I add to my slow-cooker mac and cheese?
The gooey goodness of mac and cheese makes the perfect base for any vegetable. Try adding cooked broccoli, zucchini or spinach to your dish. Additionally, crumbled bacon, cooked kielbasa and fresh herbs like parsley or cilantro bring a touch of flavor.
Help! Any substitutes for evaporated milk?
No evaporated milk? No problem. Swap in 12-ounces of half-and-half instead.
1 serving: 502 calories, 28g fat (18g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 638mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fibre), 21g protein.