Number of servings : 1 dozen miniature cannoli Prep time: 35 minutes Cooking time: 25 minutes Type of meal :
Number of servings : 1 dozen miniature cannoli
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Type of meal : | Desserts | Desserts
Special diet :
1 egg yolk
15 ml (1 tbsp) sugar
10 ml (2 tsp) brandy
375 ml (1 1/2 cups) dry white wine
15 ml (1 tbsp) melted butter
Salt to taste
Almond oil as needed
1 egg white
45 ml (3 tbsp) pistachio nuts, peeled and finely chopped
Vegetable oil for deep frying as needed
125 ml (1/2 cup) ricotta cheese
125 ml (1/2 cup) icing sugar
30 g (1 oz) 1 square dark chocolate, coarsely grated with a knife
30 ml (2 tbsp) candied mixed peel
15 ml (1 tbsp) powdered sugar
- Place flour in a bowl and make a small well in the centre. Put egg yolk, sugar, brandy, wine, butter and salt in the well and blend thoroughly until the dough is smooth and elastic. Cover bowl with a damp towel and set aside for one hour.
- Roll dough out on a floured surface. Cut into 12 2-inch (5 cm) squares.
- Brush almond oil on metal cannoli tubes. Roll squares of dough around the tubes so that two corners overlap.
- Seal the seams with egg white.
- Preheat oil in a deep-fryer to 350°C / 180°F.
- Fry the cannoli one or two at a time until lightly browned.
- Drain on paper towels and let cool.
- Remove dough from tubes and brush edges with beaten egg white. Dip dampened edges in chopped pistachios.
- In a bowl, beat together the Fiorella cheese and icing sugar.
- Blend in chocolate and candied peel. Cover bowl and refrigerate two to three hours.
- Stuff cannoli with cheese mixture. Refrigerate. Sprinkle with icing sugar just before serving.