Number of servings : 2 dozen puffs
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Type of meal : | Hors d’oeuvres | Hors d’oeuvres
Special diet :
4 sweet Italian sausages, membrane removed
20 ml (4 tsp) fennel seeds, crushed
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 egg yolk, beaten
400 g (14 oz) commercial puff pastry
10 ml (2 tsp) cold water
- Preheat oven to 200°C / 400°F.
- In a bowl, combine the sausage meat, half the fennel seeds and the pepper. Set aside.
- On a floured work surface, roll the dough into four 22 cm x 12 cm (9” x 5”) rectangles.
- Spread an equal amount of filling down the middle of each rectangle. Moisten the edges of the pastry and roll up. Press gently to seal.
- Cut each roll into six 4 cm (1½”) pieces. Place seam side down on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolk and water and brush the top of each piece with the mixture. Sprinkle the remaining fennel seeds over the puffs.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm.