Prep Time: 20 minutes, plus marinating
Cook Time: 15 minutes
450 g skinless, boneless turkey breasts (fillets)
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1½ tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons dry white wine
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage or 2 teaspoons dried sage, crumbled
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1½ teaspoons fresh thyme leaves or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon fennel seeds, lightly crushed
2½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground pepper
1 red capsicum (pepper), seeded and finely diced
1 bulb of fennel, finely diced
1 tablespoon black olive paste (tapenade) or 10 black Kalamata olives, pitted and finely diced
8 stalks of fresh rosemary (optional)
8 French shallots
- Cut the turkey breasts into 24 pieces, each about 5 × 2 cm. Combine the turkey pieces with 2 of the chopped garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, the wine, sage, rosemary, thyme, fennel seeds, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and seasoning. Toss so that all the turkey pieces are covered with the herb mixture. Leave to marinate for at least 10 minutes, or up to 1 hour if you have the time.
- Meanwhile, make the relish. Put the red capsicum, diced fennel and olive paste or diced olives in a bowl together withthe remaining garlic, ½ tablespoon lemon juice and ½ tablespoon oil. Season to taste. Mix well, then set aside.
- Preheat the grill to high, or prepare a charcoal fire in the barbecue. Thread the marinated turkey pieces onto the rosemary stalks if using, or onto skewers, and top each one with a shallot.
- Grill or barbecue the kebabs for about 15 minutes or until cooked through and the turkey pieces are lightly browned. Turn the kebabs and baste with the remaining marinade frequently. Serve the kebabs hot, with the relish.
- Instead of making a vegetable relish, add the red capsicum and fennel to the kebabs as 2.5 cm chunks. Alternate with pieces of turkey on the skewers, and brush with the turkey marinade.