Rave Review Chicken Soup
“Nice and warm on a cold winter’s day, this hearty chicken soup gets rave reviews from my family and friends. It goes nicely with fresh-baked biscuits.” —Caroline Simpson, Fredericton, New Brunswick
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1/4 cup butter divided
- 1-1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 celery ribs chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14-1/2 oz.) undrained
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 carton chicken broth (32 oz.)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- fresh parsley minced (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Brown chicken; transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add remaining butter to skillet; saute onion, carrots and celery until slightly softened. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer onion mixture to slow cooker; add next 8 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 4 hours or until carrots are tender.
- In a small bowl, mix cream and cornstarch until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Cook, covered, on high 15-20 minutes or until soup is thickened. If desired, sprinkle with parsley.
1-1/2 cups: 247 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 941mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fibre), 19g protein.