Spice up your day with this pumpkin version of the traditional custard dessert.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 4 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 30 amaretti cookies coarsely crushed
- to garnish icing sugar
- to garnish whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F. Generously butter and flour a 2 L / 8-cup round baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the pumpkin, egg yolks and brown sugar. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk to the pumpkin mixture. Stir in half the crushed cookies and all the nutmeg.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, and fold them gently into the mixture. Pour into the prepared dish and sprinkle with the remaining cookie crumbs.
- Bake on the middle rack for 1 hour. Insert the tip of a knife into the middle: if it comes out clean, the flan is done. If not, continue baking another 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, run a spatula carefully around the edge to release and unmould onto a large platter. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve with whipped cream.